Swan(Song) For An Airline

First off, I apologize for my absence. I've got lots of catching up to do with this blog. Hopefully the few readers I've got haven't abandoned me yet.

That said, today's big story: the final flight of Song Airlines. Song was the low-cost arm of Delta Air Lines. First flying on April 15, 2003 (mostly to stave off stiff competition from jetBlue at JFK), it tried to emulate jetBlue's model (except with Boeing 757-200s instead of Airbus A320s). For a while, the lime green 757s flew from the hubs at JFK and Orlando. Yet there was a strategy change at Delta (it was no secret that Song didn't live up to the airline's expectations), and in October 2005 Delta announced that it would fold Song back into mainline Delta. That process was completed yesterday, as flight 2056 flew from Las Vegas to Orlando.

0 comments: